Welcome to Vocal Wednesdays. For the last 8 months I have shared vocal tips and warm-ups to help you cultivate a healthy voice. In the spirit of Back to School, I am offering 4 weeks of 10-minute warm-ups. From start to finish, I will have the pleasure of warming your lovely voice! I will include an audio of the full 10 minutes, a list of the exercises included, PLUS an audio recording sample, pronunciation guide and tips for EACH exercise. Friends, it doesn’t get better than this!
Who is this warm-up for?
These warm-ups can be for choir directors looking for a pre-designed warm-up, for students looking to get back in shape before auditions, for voice teachers who are looking for something new or if you are just starting to explore your voice as a beginner you may need a little guidance on how to get in shape. It’s all here for the next four weeks. If you haven’t already, this is a great opportunity to sign up for my newsletter (upper right hand corner of the blog) so you don’t miss a single note! (pun intended. lol!)
I typically create warm-ups that have an intention. For this particular warm-up this was my plan:
Warm-Up Plan: Breathing
This is a great warm-up session to remind yourself or your singers of the muscles involved in breathing.
- Start with something to help focus and train the body for breath MANAGEMENT
- Encourage the vocal cords to come fully together to create clear tone, easy scale
- Take a break and release tension, connect to the breath
- Use an exercise to focus on the abs, warm-up head voice
- Use an exercise that will engage the obliques, encourage whole-body singing
- Use an exercise that encourages breath flow, warm-up the chest voice
- Start Repertoire!
10 Minute Warm-Up: Breathing